from generation to generation
A couple minutes away from The Commons, The History Center offers free admission for adults and children to over 10,000 sq. ft of exhibition space, featuring permanent and temporary exhibitions, wide-ranging programs, a research library and a book shop.
Permanent exhibitions feature local old maps, an 1890 shop, photographs, a timeline, and artifacts. Topics explored in 2012-2013 through temporary exhibitions will include local epidemics, stained glass, and the birth of the Moog synthesizer.
The History Center offers free access to year-round, wide-ranging programs for adults and children - from quilting, to sustainability or book groups.
Thousands of historic photographs, documents, diaries, scrapbooks, genealogies, maps, and deeds are available in The History Center's research library during regular hours and by appointment.
The Eight Square Schoolhouse
The History Center owns and recently renovated the Eight Square Schoolhouse located on Upper Hanshaw Road (1/4 mile East from the airport). Built in 1827, it is the earliest school still existing in Tompkins County, and the only brick octagonal schoolhouse left standing in New York State. Over 800 Tompkins County students each year spend a day there as a student in 1892!